Re: Icky Sticky Gooey Yucky Poster Restoration

Ron Koster wrote:

> I realize this is somewhat off-topic, but I wouldn't know who else to ask,
> and I know there's a lot of you out there with experience in restoration.
>
> I have an old poster that's somewhat collectible, however it was apparently
> put up somewhere with tape and stuff. Most of the tape is gone now
> (although there's still a few pieces stuck to it), but where tape once was
> it's all sticky and stuff.
>
> So, I have two questions: (1) is there any way to remove the tape that's
> still there without tearing the paper; and (2) is there any way to get rid
> of the stickiness that is there from where the tape used to be?
>
> I haven't had a chemistry set since I was a little kid, so I don't have
> access to all kinds of weird things, but I was hoping that there might be
> some simple and easy, "do-it-yourself-at-home" way to fix this up as much
> as possible without, of course, making matters even worse.
>
> Thanks *very* much to any and all help or suggestions you might be able to
> provide.
>
> Ron :)
>
>                        ~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~
>                        P  S  Y  M  O  N  ?  ?  ?  ?
>                        http://home.istar.ca/~psymon
Dear Ron;
I have used a few different products over the years.  One you might try
is acetone.  It is a solvent, sold in most hardware stores and does a
bang-up job on adhesive residues.  Another is Afta, which is a dry
cleaning fluid I believe.  It is also sold in cans in many hardware
stores.  I know binders who use banana oil, which smells like it sounds
and can be purchased from bookbinder's suppliers, such as Craft
Bookbinder's Supply in Wilmington, De; Bookbinder's Warehouse in
Riverdale MD; or Talas in N.Y.C.  Hope this helps. Dea Sasso