Re: Icky Sticky Gooey Yucky Poster Restoration

I have a few different suggestions:  You may try a tacking iron, this works
well for scotch tape, I would practice on some other things before trying this
on your poster.

Rubber cement pickup "erasers" work wonderfully for picking up sticky tape
residue.  You can pretty much find them at any art supply store, and they are
very cheap, usually around 1-2 dollars.

If the tape residue is dried and no longer tactile you can use methyl cellulose
paste/gel and apply it to the taped area, enough to cover the area but not too
liberally.  Test the area after about 15 minutes or so depending on the
strength of the adhesive and you should be able to begin, ever so gently,
scraping and removing the adhesive with a micro-spatula or whatever tool you
prefer.  Be careful the paper will be vulnerable because it is wet.  After
removing the glue and the methyl cellulose, you can place (in this order)
reemay, blotter paper, board of some sort, glass and acrylic are fine, then a
weight, and let the paper dry.  When you remove the boards and weight the paper
will have dried nice and flat.

You can use this method of removal for all types of adhesives, it even works on
PVA.  It is how I clean off spines for books that are being recased.  It works
wonderfully and leaves you with a nice clean textblock to work with.   I have
also used this type of reversal when I have made a mistake in binding
something, not like any of us ever make mistakes, an example could be gluing
the title on the spine upside down, etc.  You can find any of the materials I
have mentioned in the Gaylord Archival Catalog.  (1-800-634-6307)

Hope this helps, if you have any more questions you can email me directly.

Jennifer Gorman
IBM
(317) 845-7814
jenng@us.ibm.com