Wheat Starch Paste without Troubles

Granular starch jelling in cold water doesn't need cooking, and creates a
very strong bond. Its storage under refrigeration does not change the
uniformity of material (viscosity) and adhesive property

In my quest to better understand what I had observed over time about paste
made from wheat starch, I contacted the Department of Food Science & Human
Nutrition at Washington State University, Pullman.

Pullman is located in eastern Washington, in an area called the Palouse,
which is a center for growing wheat and lentils.

I was fortunate enough to be directed towards Zuzanna Czuchajowska Ph.D.,
Professor and Researcher in the special field of starches from different
botanical sources.

When i contacted Zuzanna in 1997, she had just developed a process
modifying wheat starch to obtain granular cold water jelling starch and had
filed for a patent.

Zuzanna explained that native (generally available) starch granules soaked
in water at room temperature are not water soluble and don't have the
ability to produce/form viscous material with adhesive property at room
temperature. One must introduce heat.
Therefore the process developed by Zuzanna can be of great interest to the
conservation community.

I tested the cold water jelling starch from one batch over a period of one
month at one week intervals. All papers were pasted on Mohawk Superfine and
on their own kind:

Kizukishi (100% kozo)
Sekishu (kozo and sulphite pulp)
dyed jap.paper solid color (90% kozo, 10% wood pulp, chemical dyes)
Mohawk Superfine, textweight (sulphite pulp)

Strips 1 1/2" wide each were cut and pasted.

The bond between the papers proved to be very strong. This would confirm
the adhesive quality of the starch for conservation purposes.

More experiments are needed to provide data expressed in scienfic terms.

Those interested in making this product generally available, please contact

Zuzanna Czuchajowska
Washington State University
Dept. of Food Science & Human Nutrition
IMPACT