crash numbering

Hello All,

Yes, it's time for another inquiry on an esoteric subject, but one which I
find myself trying to research. I have been accumulating tickets and other
little printed ephemera, for no particular reason, and I am fascinated by
the numbers.

Does anyone know about crash numbering? I know what it is (a letterpress
system for serial numbering tickets and other ephemera). But who invented
it? Where did it come about?

As always, your help is appreciated.

-Philip
pk@type-high.com