Re: slide film for taking pictures of books

The technology of film has improved quite a bit since the days when Kodachrome
was preferred for its sharpness. Now days all major brands are good. The
difference between brands is the color balance. This is partly a matter of
preference. Ektachrome is warmer than Fujichrome. But Fuji has excellent color,
especially clear, bright colors. It's great for flowers and nature ( I love
nature photography). Talk to the folks in a full service camera store about the
color balances in the different brands of film.

Another aspect of film choice is the speed, this in directly related to the
graininess or resolution , the slower the film, the less grain, down to a
point. I have assume you are on a tripod and there is no need for fast speed.
Contrast is generally related to speed, often the faster, the more contrast.

Then there is daylight and tungsten film. Your lighting source is the key here.
I used to shoot a lot of slides for the art history professors at RIT, using a
tungsten lit copy stand thus requiring tungsten film. If your lights are
daylight balanced than daylight (the most common) film should be used.

I would suggest getting several different brands of the same speed (100 is
good), and shooting test rolls, all of the same set of subjects under the same
lighting and see which you like best. Then  pick one and use only it, you will
get to know it characteristics and be able to shoot better slides, faster, and
with confidence.

Happy shooting, Jill
Jill Timm, Visual Media Designer
User Centered Design