Re: Paper question

The problem with the "inclusions" you mention is that they are high in
tanins (acidic) which will contribute to the deterioration of the paper.
If you've ever looked at books with pressed flowers in them and noticed
the "stains" that is what I mean. Since you're making the paper yourself
you could add a significant alkaline reserve of calcium or magnesium
carbonate, but I don't know how well that would work in the long term
either.

Grasses were one of the first rag substitutes in the 19th century when the
making of paper became mechanized. Granted those also had other additives
such as rosin and alum, but the grasses weren't great either.

I think you'll need to make a choice between really attractive not so long
lived paper or less interesting longer lived paper.

Peter

Peter Verheyen, Listowner: Book_Arts-L
mailto:pdverhey@dreamscape.com
http://www.dreamscape.com/pdverhey