Re: Paper question

At 11:36 AM 6/4/98 -0400, Melissa L. Hatalsky wrote:
>Then you must dry the papers
>immediately....If I remember right the woman I got this tip from said she
>had something that A dry cleaner would use to press clothes...a table top
>presser.  She would put the freshly pulled sheet of paper into this iron
>presser and would dry and press the paper at the same time.  Will it work
>by just ironing the paper with a regular iron?...probably...but I admit to
>never trying it.

Missy and all,

I've been playing around a bunch lately with my Arnold Grummer Pour Mold
Paper making kit.  (Great FUN BTW!).  I've been drying my sheets with an
iron all along.... No patience for waiting for them to dry under a stack of
phone books.  <g>  It works great!  You need to use a couch sheet and iron
directly onto that, instead of ironing directly onto the paper.  Also, you
need to press the iron down hard for 15 seconds or so, then move it over
and press again.  I have one layer of terry cloth towel on top of my
formica work bench which I iron on top of.  Every couple of presses turn
the couch sheet over, as well as the paper you're pressing.  I use the
cotton setting on my iron with NO steam.  After they're dry to the touch
(but probably a bit of moisture is still inside) I do press them overnight
under a stack of heavy things to help them stay flat.  If I'm doing simple
paper without heavy inclusions, I might actually iron directly onto the
paper, but it sometimes discolors the paper, so you'll have to test it.

I've had the same experience with drying petals and flowers.  If you dry
them first then add them to the paper they retain their color.  There is a
product called the Micro fleur for drying flowers in the microwave.  I've
read that one can use 2 corelle plates and paper towels and achieve the
same results.  I haven't tried it myself, but supposedly, the quicker
microwave drying helps retain petal color.  I tried drying cherry blossoms
in a phone book and they all turned brown.  :(  At the same time I also put
some fresh ones into the paper.  They were all brown a few days later.  I
wish I knew about the microwave technique back then, I could have tested
the cherry blossom petals with the microwave.  Oh well... Guess I'll have
to do some more hunter gathering for flowers in the garden...   <g>

The Cottage Stamper   (aka Juliet Page)
~ overlooking Mill Creek on the Chesapeake Bay ~ Maryland USA ~
~ Next Annapolis Fiber & Knit Club Meeting, Friday 6/26 7:00pm ~