Karen Crisalli on a soap-box

Many of you know me from business dealings, or from the occasional posting I
have contributed to this list. Allow me to go way, way "off topic" here and
put my two cents worth on a subject that has nothing to do with book arts:

I live in New Jersey, and I drove down to Myrtle Beach, South Carolina a few
weeks ago, to help my 26 year old son move into his new apartment (we have
long had a vacation house there, and finally persuaded our son to move from
back from California to South Carolina). Three days after arriving there, my
son and I were involved in a high-speed head-on collision on the highway. A
driver coming the other direction lost control of her car, spun across two
lanes of oncoming traffic and hit us head-on at what the police said was "the
equivalent of 130 miles an hour into a brick wall". My car has (make that HAD)
dual air-bags, and we were both wearing our seat-belts, which is the point of
this note.

Fortunately, my son and my injuries will heal just fine, and it is amazing
that we actually broke no bones in this crash, for it was a doozie!  I did
suffer massive bruises, cuts, lumps and bumps from ankle to knee (I actually
cracked the dashboard with my leg/knee, but didn't 'crack' the leg itself!);
lost a lot of skin on my right arm which is also swollen and badly bruised
from wrist to above the elbow, and have seat-belt bruises and swelling both on
my hips (from the lap belt) and "banner-style" across my shoulder and chest
from the shoulder belt, plus trauma to the chest wall from the impact of the
airbag which activated at a force equivalent to nearly 200 miles an hour
according to the police! Despite all this, I was released from the hospital
the same day, thank you thank you thank you!

DON'T LET ANYONE EVER, EVER SAY THEY DON'T WANT SEAT BELTS OR AIR BAGS ...
these devices are the ONLY reason my son and I are still alive except perhaps
for the added advantage of having been driving an 11-month old heavy, sturdy
Lincoln Town Car, which is now totalled but held up enough to save us. I have
heard folks say "I know somebody who was hurt by the the air bag/the seatbelt,
etc.". DON'T USE THAT ONE IN A MILLION EXCUSE FOR NOT USING YOUR BELTS OR FOR
DISCONNECTING YOUR AIR BAGS. There are far, far more lives saved (mine, for
one!) by these protective devices than the small number of negative incidents.
(note: We're not talking here about children, which have NO place in the front
seat of a car; my comments are directed to adults).

I am thankful for every bump, bruise, burn, cut and abrasion I have. And the
next time you think twice about using your seat-belt or consider for a second
disconnecting your air bag, give me a call .... I would love to show you my
scars ... because I am ALIVE to be ABLE to show them to you!

I hope that the fact that some of you on this list actually know me will
maybe, just maybe, cause you to spend just an extra second considering what I
have said ...
because without the belts and airbags, I wouldn't be alive to harp on you!

Okay, okay, I'm off the soap-box now.

Regards,

Karen L. Crisalli
(formerly Bookbinder's Warehouse, and current President of The Guild of
BookWorkers)