Re: Adhesives

> > Subject: Adhesives
> > Date: Sunday, June 07, 1998 3:26 PM
> >
> > I'm hoping that someone might be able to help me...
> >
> > I'm trying to determine which adhesive is the best to use in the
> > following instances:
> >
> > 1.  adhering paper to davey board
> >      a.  cloth cover paper to board
> >      b.  decorative cover paper to board
> >
> > 2.  signature papers to end papers
> >
> > 3.  end papers to board

I used to work with a book conservator who used PVA, starch paste, or a combination of the two for all three
of the situations you list. For my own binding experiments at home, away from the material comforts of the
book lab, he gave me a starch/PVA mix (about 50-50) and recommended it for general use. I'm still using it!
The paste has not gone off, and I find that the PVA sticks anything well.  In his experience (a lot greater
than mine!), both adhesives are archival.

One other thing: When I've put decorative paper on board or used nontraditional book cloth to cover a book, I
line it first with a nonglossy tissue and use pure wheat starch paste to do it. Works really nicely for a
range of material.

Barb Coddington