Re: Paper grain

> Hand- or mould-made papers have little or no discernable grain because the
> moulds are jiggled as they are are lifted, causing the fibers to lie in
> different directions.

With respect to Betty, and admitting upfront my less than extensive knowledge of papermaking, I
don't think that's quite right. To my understanding, mouldmade (moldmade) papers, i.e.:
Hahnemuhle Ingres or Bugra for instance, are made on slow moving machines, a sheet at a time. As
a result, a higher percentage of fibers are aligned then in handmade, but not the almost total
fiber alignment of high speed commercial papers. The resulting papers exhibit consistent, mild
expansion when pasted out, allowing a great deal of control of board warp, as well as being a
durable alternative to hanmades.
The other misconception addressed in this thread is the correlation between laid- and wove-
surfaces and grain. Ah... there isn't any for machine made papers. While the chain lines may run
parallel to the grain, any surface manifestations of the papermaking process are simply that.
Grain, on the other hand, is an intrinsic characteristic the material.
In closing remember Snoogles McDorfus' adage #22 1/2: "Always check your grain, lest it sneak
around and nip you on the ankle."

Cellulose rules.

Don

Don Rash fine bookbinder
50 Burke St.
Plains, PA 18705
1-717-821-7050
<There are monkey boys in the facility...>