Re: ?? Paper grain

Dear Betty--

The grain thread gets interestinger and interestinger.

At 08:24 PM 6/15/98 -0700, you wrote:

  Kojiro Ikegami, author of
>JAPANESE BOOKBINDING, points out that with accordion books it is
>particularly imporstant to make sure that the grain of the paper runs in a
>vertical direction, parallel to the folds.

Ikegami  (or his humbler adapter/translator, Barbara Stephan, who doesn't
give herself nearly enough credit) has been the master for me, but this is
one statement I don't follow.  It is true, of course, that the paper folds
easier with the grain and with thick, unruly papers this might be
significant, but once the fold is made and pressed the book action in an
accordion-style album is not affected by the grain since the pages aren't
required to bend.  I make photo albums using an adaptation of the
double-leaf accordion style described by Ikegami/Stephan and have used
vertical and horizontal grains with no noticeable difference in the action.

Regards,

Sam
Sam Lanham (slanham@hctc.net)