Re: tearing Japanese papers

A trick I learned from Don Etherington was to dip your bonefolder in your
"glue water" (where you keep your brushes between use) and then run it
along an edge of a ruler.  The combination of pressure from the folder and
the water (with just a bit of adhesive in it, acting, I suppose, like a
sizing) creates a nice feathered edge on thick as well as thin tissues.
But I admit, on something as thin as Tengujo or silk tissue, which is
almost impossible to paste out it is so thin, you have to be very careful
while tearing it after scoring/wetting with the bone folder.

And you are right, Dorothy, everyone has their preferred way.  Which ever
way works for you is the way that you should work, as that famous baseball
coach might have said.

Eric

 *  Eric C. Alstrom
 *  Collections Conservator