Re: [scanning vs colour copies]

Hello, all on the book arts web site.  I bought a scanner and good printer
back in 1994, when I had my compac notebook.  Anyway, I thought I would
be able to easily scan my art work ( I am a printmaker) onto the scanner,
and then print out black and white images.  I also had hopes of printing
color copies, so I could shrink wrap them and sell them for less to area
venders.  My compac notebook never had enough ram, the minumun I needed
was 32 bits, not the mention that the photoshop, illustrator, and the
other soft ware packages on my computer were vertually using up all my
memory.  I did get to use the scanner once, then I decided that the $750
scanner, $4,000 lap top, software that cost over $1,000, printer that cost
$4,000 made very fuzzy pictures at best. Sure I could make the images
smaller, but it was definately not worth the cost of $6000 plus.  Anyway,
now if someone asks what I use my scanner for I pile books on top of it,
and it holds down the table so it won't blow away in a wind storm.  I now
have a bigger computer than my initial computer of the year 1994, and I
have a nicer printer, but I still do original pieces of art that I sell
one of a kind type.  I laugh when I hear that someone might even consider
a scanner, printer, and software to reproduce art.  The real systems that
do it for commercial printers are so expensive that my old boss, Athletic
Advertising that did high school posters had to hire a full force of
artist and pay giant off set litho printers to print their posters. Sure
they used the same software I did but their Macintosh computers cost
$5,000 with the proper amount of ram and memory to get a decent slick
looking poster.  So I rest my case, Ron. I know that in Canada everything
is dear, and scanners are no exception.  But if you had my system and you
tried all you possibly could to do art reprodutions you would never sell
a one and would waist all your money.  I think the only thing an artist
can do is go to 4 color off set litho companies and have them reproduce
them for cheaper than one could ever possibily do it their self.  Anyway
good luck to the artist that wants to do everything. Having been a graphic
artist and an selling oil painting artist, I realize that Thomas Kinkade
isn't getting rich off of reproductions in his living room, he goes and
does whatever it takes to get the job done right.  I know because I
realize that he is an ordinary artist with great printer, great market
personal, and good public relationship skills.  If I could earn 1% of what
he makes a year, I would be happy.  Thanks for lisnening and good luck
in pursuing my passion, the art of reproduction of art.  I hope if anyone
out there has the skill to reproduce a Van Gogh that they give it their
best shot, it might be your only way to make a million.  Have a Wonderful
Summer.

Janet

Hi - this is Janet - I am an artist - do you need any art work?
Give me a call.  Logos, Murals, Signs - jmeyerb@comp.uark.edu