papercase??

  Looks like it's time for a new subject of discussion on this list.
Here is one.  I am teaching a week long course on the paper case, I
hope, at North Bennet Street School next week.  I proposed the course
because the history of the "cheap book" is of interest to me, and I have
found the paper case to be a great solution to a number of binding
problems when dealing with older (16-18th century) books.  It is also a
very versatile binding, with a lot of artistic potential. I am doing a
plain one to start, but hope to get to stiff and laced paper cases as
well.  I have done quarterbinds in paper case, but I don't know if I
should throw that in as well. Paper cases require very little by way of
heavy equipment (one can get by with none, as a matter of fact).  All
this seemed to me to make it a topic that would have a wide appeal, but
only three people signed-up.
 So the question is--why?  Do folks find it too staid a style for the
modern taste?  Don't really know what it is?  Think that bindings that
don't sound complicated are b-o-o-o-reing?  Am I the only one in the
world that likes them?
 Dorothy Africa
(puzzled in Boston)