Re: papercase??

Dorothy---I'm no expert on the paper case but I think you have asked an
important question about our need for (obsession with?) complexity.  Maybe
it's our technological environment.  Maybe we need to feel that we are
doing something no one else can easily do.  As a devotee of traditional
Asian bindings which, after centuries of evolution, arrived at a simple
solution I have sensed that the general ingnoring of non-western book forms
results at least in part from the need for functional and constructional
complexity and the pleasure we get from being technologically "above the
folk."  Japanese binding was really a folk binding and the folk did a lot
of their own.  Commercial binders there appear to have had the status we
accord to--say---coblers.  Perhaps that is a threat to us westerners who
like to think of art and beauty as the province of the few---both as to
execution and appreciation.

The older I get the more I value the words of O. W. Holmes, "I would not
give a whit for the simplicity this side of complexity, but I would give my
life for the simplicity on the far side of complexity."  Complexity indeed
does provide some excitement but more and more I value the depth of the far
side simplicity.

Sam Lanham

Sam Lanham (slanham@hctc.net)