Re: Cleaning off spines

> a method of removing spine linings and mull down to bare signatures
cleanly and easily.
> I think it involved using a PVA mixture covered with blotting paper and
>Reemay.

The best method that I have found for removing the mull and its glue is to
use a steamer.  It works fast and is easy to do.  Just be careful to use
only enough to loosen the mull and pull it off while keeping the signatures
dry.  Use waxed paper between books and weight well to keep moisture from
soaking in.  I usually do 4 to 6 in a stack at a time and use a steel flat
weight or two on top.  As soon as you are done, unstack and set to dry.
Lightly sand with a sanding sponge, fine grit.  By to way, these sponge
sanders are great for a variety of jobs.  They are made by 3M and come in a
fine and coarse grit.  I got mine at Wal-Mart but should be available a lot
of other places.

Claudia Stall
Head, Collection Preservation Unit
San Diego State University
Love Library

         "Be kind, do good work, and touch the earth gently."