Test for chrome tanned leather

Dear all,

(apologies for cross-posting this message):

Recently I bought 12 calfskins which are vegetably tanned. At least that's what the
vendor claims. Working with the leather (paring, gluing) it seems to me that is is at
least a different type of leather and I wonder if it is minerally (after)tanned with chrome.

Is there a SIMPLE way to determine wether there's chrome involved in the tanning of
this leather ? So no spectometry etc. but a test which can be done "at home".
I know of the blueisch/greyisch layer between the grain and fleshside but that is only
very faint (still it is there...). I've also tried a simple shrinkage test (chrome tanned
leather normally has a higher Ts but both samples (old and new) shrank below 100 C)

Any tips are very much appreciated.

Cor Knops.

___________________________
Knops Boekrestauratie
Conservation & Restoration of Books and Paper
Groenstraat 8
6151 CS Munstergeleen
Netherlands
phone 00 31 46 4200024
fax   00 31 46 4110180
e-mail    knops@xs4all.nl
URL       http://www.xs4all.nl/~knops/knops.htm
Have a look at our Book Information Website...