Re: August-September Lectures in New York City

On Mon, 10 Aug 1998, Bill Drendel wrote:
> In a message dated 8/10/98 3:11:55 PM, you wrote:
> << This is not a likeable show,>>
> Hmmmmmmmmm!

I meant what I said. Most of my clients are critical art-lovers in the
best sense of the term "critical." They are not necessarily knowledgeable
- that's my job; but they are serious enough about art to ask the tough
questions, and I'm respectful enough of their intelligence to answer them
as best I can. On the other hand, for those whose idea of art appreciation
is Philippe de Montebello, Director of the Metropolitan Museum of Art,
explaining that "Heah van Gogh's mAHvellous sense of color pulsates in
exquisite gestuAHs...", the audioguide is available for a fraction of what
I charge.

As for the Burne-Jones show: I disliked it so much at first that I wasn't
planning to lead any tours. But after talking it over with some friends
and clients and reading up on Burne-Jones and Morris, I realized that
their work and thought raise important questions about craftsmanship and
the uses of the past, especially the Medieval past. I should think these
questions would be of interest to anyone involved with the arts of the
book, even if the answers are not always pretty. Burne-Jones' work is not
likeable. That doesn't make it boring.

Yours in friendship,

Paul Werner, New York City
For Courses, Lectures and Dragonsblood: