Re: Mac & QuarkExpress Book Signature Layout Q's

To the best of my knowledge (I have been using page layout software, first
PageMaker and later QuarkXPress, for about 12 years now) there is no way to
prevent a blank line from appearing at the top of a column, since the
programs treats the blank as just another line of text (I'd LOVE to be told
I'm wrong ;-). You will have to go through page by page -- which you should
do anyway to get rid of widows and orphans, and check for any other visual
no-nos -- and manipulate the page depths by hand to fix these problems.

As for imposing the pages, there are several XTensions or PlugIns that I'm
aware of: Bookletizer for PageMaker, and possibly Make Booklet (or
something like that); and Imposer (from A Lowly Apprentice Productions) and
Imposition, both for XPress. Imposer is perfect for less complicated
impositions (such as 5.5 x 8.5 inch pages imposed two-up on an 8.5 x 11
inch sheet, which then folds in half to make a booklet). Imposition is more
industrial strength and can do complicated impositions for huge sheets of
paper in commercial printeries. The drawback to Imposer is that it assumes
(and therefore limits you to) a single signature: it's perfect for a
newsletter of 36 or 40 pages but impractical for a 160 page book, unless
you reorganize the XPress document into a series of smaller documents based
on your 4 and 5 sheet (16 or 20 page) signatures.

Hope this helps,
Richard.

Richard Miller <rmiller@peterboro.net>

"Even bad books are books and therefore sacred." --Gunther Grass