Mac & Quark Thanks

Hello -

Thanks for all the great suggestions to my Mac / Quark query. I was able to
solve the more annoying misplaced line break problem.

As for pagination, I think the best way to number the story is by hand -
especially for a multi signature book. The problem with automating this
task is that the Quark pages which are numbered 1-4 are the front four
sheets in my 4 page signature and the Quark pages numbered 5-8 are the back
of the four sheets, and so on, and there's a five page signature in the end
just to confuse things more. With this layout, it's virtually impossible to
correctly automate pagination. I don't think I'd trust Quark enough anyway
- I'd still be inclined to manually check each page!

What seems to work best so far is to create a small text block at the
bottom of every page which will contain the page number. I set this up in
the A-MASTER-A page. Then, starting with the first page of the book (Not
Quarks first page, but the books first page which corresponds to Quarks
page number 4), I command-tabbed through the main text block which contains
the story, and each time I jumped to a new page, I'd add a number to the
bottom of that page. This worked perfectly the very first time through.
It's not that time consuming, and since the cursor runs through the book in
reading order, I didn't have to really do much work except remember which
page number I was on.

Anyway - hope this helps.

Maybe there's a bookbinder/software developer who will someday create a
program to automate all this!

Peace,

Jason

                 r a g  &  b o n e  b i n d e r y

                 web:  http://www.ragandbone.com
                 fax:  401 455 3680
               voice:  401 455 3480
                mail:  one allens avenue
                       providence, rhode island 02903

                info:  handbound books, albums, journals,
                       guestbooks, clamshell boxes and more.
                       visit our web site to order on-line.

                       see you there!