Skin Deep

This message has been cross-posted to other lists, so we ask in advance for
your forgiveness!

We are please to advise the publication on our web site of the Autumn 1998
edition of 'Skin Deep' - volume 6.

you will find it at: http://www.hewit.com/skindeep.htm

In this Autumn Edition, we are pleased to continue our series on
bookbinding organisations, with an article on Designer Bookbinders.  They
are dedicated to the craft of Hand Bookbinding and although based in the
UK, have a truly international membership.

Following various letters and comments that have been received by the
editor, we are commencing a series of articles on Leather
Dressing.  The intention is to create a starting point for a debate on the
various pro’s and con’s relating to its usage.  In this issue we have
the pleasure of reproducing the first of several articles by Ellen McCrady,
which first appeared in the Abbey Newsletter.  We would
welcome your views on the issues raised and would hope to publish them in
the Spring 1999 issue of Skin Deep.

John Smart, a craft bookbinder from Wiltshire tells us about his family’s
business and the Basic Refurbishment of Old Books video he
has recently produced.

The Manufacture of Leather - Part 6 continues the story.  In this issue, we
cover the final wet processes which are undertaken in the
dyehouse, prior to the leather entering the final stages in the finishing
department.

We are proud to have been awarded second place in a regional competition,
organised by East of Scotland Water for long term
improvements to the environment.  Details of this and our new bagpipe
goatskin will be found in ‘Company News’.  And finally,  we
have our regular items: Letter & Feedback, Company & Product News,  a new
item, Dates for your Diary.

 We hope that you enjoy reading this issue .

David

David M. Lanning
J. Hewit & Sons Ltd. (London)
Tel: +44 (0) 181 965 5377