No Subject

This is a reply to my own posting, inserting some afterthoughts, a reminder
to myself to let a letter sit for a while before sending it.

Betty

>>>Dear LL,
>>
>>Some time ago I printed the Jones Bookbinding Tutorial (your first
>>reference) and tried it out. The instructions are for a non-adhesive,
>>supported long-stitch binding with a slotted spine cover. Somehow, I don't
>>think that's what Jack is looking for, but I may be wrong. I am not a
>>beginning bookbinder but I found trying to sew the stitches through the
>>slots so difficult that I quit, although I pride myself on not being a
>>quitter.

I've saved the slotted cover and will try again when I have time. I think
I've figured out a way to make it easier.

>>I also printed out Sheila Summers' Basic Bookbinding Instructions (your
>>second reference) and have some comments:
>>
>>1. If you follow her instructions for folding 8 1/2" x 11" paper the grain
>>will be in the wrong direction.

Pages will not turn easily, for one thing.

>>2. Anyone buying "craft glue" might choose Elmer's (to be avoided), using
>>it straight from the bottle, as she suggests. Any PVA used on paper should
>>be diluted with water, paste or methylcellulose before use.
>>
>>3. I could not access this website now because I've changed servers.
 Jack
>>may not be able to, either. He might not have Microsoft Publisher 97
>>(neither do I) or Windows 95.

4. I haven't tried using fusible webbing in bookbinding.  Somehow, I would
be wary of its permanence as a binding for a substantial book expected to
last a long time. Has anyone had experience with it?

Betty Storz   storz@mcn.org