An illustrated slide lecture by Sue Allen, book arts historian,
sponsored by the Ohio Preservation Council and the State Library of
Ohio.

Friday, September 18, 1998
9:30 a.m. - 3:30 p.m.
OCLC Auditorium
Columbus, Ohio

Synopsis of the Program:

The book we can see (bookcloth, endpapers, headbands, signed
bindings)

The sources of our information (brasses, city directories,
advertisements, book reviews, trade journals)

Case histories (Benjamin Bradley, binder; John Feely, engraver;
Orange Judd, publisher; Sarah Whitman, designer; Global
connections: crepe books)

The role of preservation (books at risk; saving the evidence)

Sue Allen is recognized as the foremost authority on 19th-century
book covers. Her research, lectures, writings, and exhibitions guide
librarians and conservators in the selective preservation of English
and American bindings of the 19th and early 20th centuries.

Her greatest interest is in the rapid changes of cover styles that
arose when cotton cloth replaced leather as a covering material for
American books in 1830. She has written on gold-stamped covers,
1834-60, the history of patterned endpapers, and the work of a
prolific New York City book stamp engraver. She has taught since
1983 at Columbia's, now the University of Virginia's, Rare Book
School. Her forthcoming book is titled "Gold on Cloth: American
Book Covers, 1830-1910." Her talk will be illustrated with
magnificent slides. Ms. Allen's acclaimed class at Rare Book School
is "Publisher's Bookbindings, 1830-1910."

For more information about the lecture or about membership in the
Ohio Preservation Council, please contact:

Clara Ireland
Preservation Consultant
State Library of Ohio
1-800-686-1533