PVA: the rest of the story

First of all, thanks to Pamela who pointed out the vast hole in my
presentation on PVA.  The phone rang whilst I was writing this piece and I
just now noticed the hole myself, as I was rereading the copy the list sent
to me.

What I had written at that point was that I had been told that the smell,
awful as it may be, has no material effect on the strength of the adhesive
film which is produced when the resins, whether one or a dozen in concert,
polymerize.  So, take heart.  Once the smell is gone from the liquid film,
apparently the worst of the difficulties are over.

While I am at it I would like to clear up one thing which seems to be
reaching me in the feedback that I have seen up til now.

The wretched smell of the <<liquid>> adhesive in and of itself in no reason
to throw your pva out.  It remains a very useful adhesive in bookbinding so
long as it is used with ventilation enough to protect the binder.  And
being careful about ones materials is ones own responsability.  No vendor
in the world can produce a truely SAFE pva, regardless what their labelling
may proclaim, since every known resin which is useful in making the
adhesive requires fillers, plasticisers, stabalizers and preservatives in
order to make them work and in order to make them SAFELY transportable.  If
you use it with care, it will work well for you.

And you do not really want to know what I have learned about binder's
board.  If you require board that is acid free, buy museum board at high
prices or, if you wish, line both sides of the board you are going to use
with wheat paste and real, genuine, archival paper stock.  This will
provide an acid barrier of great strength and will suffice for all but the
most sensitive applications, in my humble judgement.
But in no way should you fall for the vendor's ploy of marketing an acid
free binders board.  Take care to note that the stuff is sold as
"Acid pHree".  Composite book board made from recycled secondary and
tertiary fiber is a sponge for the acids in most abient environments.
While it my be acid neutral or even acid free when it leaves the mill where
it was made, one may well enquire of the salesmen representing the stuff
just how long it will REMAIN acid free once it has been delivered to an
unknown environment, namely, YOUR bindery.

Pamela, thanks, agian.

Yours as before,

in service

don guyot    colophon@olywa.net