Re: stinky stuff

I'm bothered by the description of "faulty." These adhesives are produced
for a number of applications of which bookbinding/bookarts are but a
pitance. Most industrial users will go through barrels of it in weeks if
not days. . Although less economical, if you're not going to use much of
it, don't buy to last for years. The glues, whether PVA, hide, or paste
will all go bad eventually. We also don't want preservatives such as tymol
or formaldahyde because they're toxic to us. We can't really ahve it both
ways. For paste, clove oil will help retard spoilage a bit, as will
keeping the paste, unstrained in water. After a short time, it will begin
to deteriorate however. Let's be realistic in our expecations.

Peter

Peter Verheyen, Listowner: Book_Arts-L
mailto:pdverhey@dreamscape.com
http://www.dreamscape.com/pdverhey