art covers

  I would suggest, Kurt, that you try scribbling with the same pencil,
and/or ink, on pieces of the same paper and then try various fixatives
on the scraps.  I usually use microcrystalline wax on paper covers, but
you have to rub it in so if the pencil smears, this won't work for you.
(It looks like hell, by the way, when you rub it on, but disappears as
it dries).  Methyl cellulose size could work, or a spray, but these
could also cause some inks to run, hence the scrap test pieces.  It is
never a good idea to experiment on the actual item if you can help it.
Good luck.
 Dorothy Africa