Re: More food for thought

Increase in speed of consumption is an interesting concept, but I'm not
sure if human evolution is naturally keeping up with it or if its being
marketed to keep up with it.  I think to actually take in increase in speed
of consumption, the human species would have to complete much higher and
deeper levels of education, thought, study, etc.

Such time-based gaps are a major point of discussion in theoretical
communication texts (Paolo Freire, Jean-Francois Lyotard, and many many
others) who address this speeding up outside of a capitalist framework.
Not to wave a red flag, but this 'speed up' is, to me, in many ways a
literal product of the political economy of capitalism.  I work with
computers and speed everyday and this does not really make me any faster
than I was before, I'm almost sure of it.  Not positive, but sure.

Further, a Carnegie-Mellon study in personal Internet use revealed findings
that the target study group found too much electronic textual consumption
to be alienating and even depressing.  So much for many idea(L)s about the
digital age; this is no surprise to those of use who are users and/or
cultural workers/producers who work in many media formats.

>Hello,
>I've been enjoying everyone's ideas on the philosophy of Bookbinding and
>hope to get some responses for a paper I'm thinking about: It is based on a
>quote from an article about " Hypertextuality and Electronic Cultural
>Production":
>
>" The publishing industry continues to resist the emergence of the
>recombinant text, and opposes increases in cultural speed. It has set
>itself in the gap between production and consumption of texts, which for
>purposes of survival it is bound to maintain. If speed is allowed to
>increase, the book is doomed to perish, along with its renaissance
>companions painting and sculpture".
>
>Unfortunately I don't have the name of the author. As an undergrad Bookarts
>major and Bookbinder I had never really considered the computer as a threat
>to book production, but I'm taking a class in Digital Media this term and
>the question has shot up along with others. I'd be very happy to get some
>feedback!
>Stephanie

|||||||||||||||||<<<<<>>>>>||||||||||||||||||<<<<<>>>>>||||||||||||||||||
Madeleine R. Fix
Graduate Research Associate
Computer Instructional Technology
The School of Public Policy & Management
Master's Student
Department of Art Education
College of the Arts
The Ohio State University