books vs. cultural speed

I've heard this said before and I don't really think it holds up very
well: books, paintings and sculpture don't seem to have fallen by the
wayside in the face of films, televisions or audio recordings (and
neither do painting or sculpture for that matter). It's particularly
difficult to see working in the case of Artists Books, in some cases a
large part of the appeal of which is their uniqueness as an artefact.