Re: More food for thought

I highly recommend Hal Hartley's film HENRY FOOL.  It deals with this
subject to a tee in a fictional, filmic manner.

>>" The publishing industry continues to resist the emergence of the
>> recombinant text, and opposes increases in cultural speed. It has set
>> itself in the gap between production and consumption of texts,
>> which for purposes of survival it is bound to maintain. If speed is
>> allowed to increase, the book is doomed to perish, along with its
>> renaissance companions painting and sculpture".
>
>*sigh*
>
>This really ticks me off.
>
>Maybe the quote is taken out of context, but it sounds like
>pseudo-intellectual pornography to me.  There's so much goofy techno-dweeb
>stuff in that brief paragraph that I wonder if the author is just trying to
>get a rise out of the readers.  (It worked here.)
>
>I think there's two main threads here.
>

>1.  The idea that the glut of information, and the speed at which more and
>more information is constantly generated, will make the relatively
>leisurely pace of actually publishing "information" on paper (or canvas,
>etc.) superfluous.
>
>This assumes we WANT all that information, that we might actually DO
>something with all that information.  It also imagines that anything that's
>more than a week old is hopelessly out-of-date.
>
>99.9% of our lives have nothing to do with all that instant-information.
>Faster is not always better.  Depends what you're doing.
>
>And of course: thinking of books as simply "static text containers" misses
>the point by a mile.  This being a Book Arts list, I needn't elaborate.
>

>2.  The idea that cultural speed, if "allowed to increase", will obviate
>books, paintings, sculpture.
>
>This is just plain bizarre.  Unless it defines culture as "majority rules"
>and all else doesn't count.  So McDonald's sells a trillion burgers, thus
>my little handmade lunch doesn't exist.  OK.
>

>Computers and increasing bandwidth -- availability of information --
>afforded each of us may be great in some ways.  But to imagine it's the
>death knell of the tactile, sensual, visceral arts is sloppy, simplistic
>thinking.  And dangerous.
>

>(Disclosure:  I've been a professional programmer for 20 years, thus no
>Luddite.)
>
>Ricky

|||||||||||||||||<<<<<>>>>>||||||||||||||||||<<<<<>>>>>||||||||||||||||||
Madeleine R. Fix
Graduate Research Associate
Computer Instructional Technology
The School of Public Policy & Management
Master's Student
Department of Art Education
College of the Arts
The Ohio State University