Re: Color printer question

I've just purchased an Alps MD-1000.  This is a color printer which uses a
set of ribbons to print color via the CMYK protocol.  That is, the paper
goes through the printer 4 times (automagically) to print color.

Tests show that the color is more permanent than ink jet and it does not run.

I purchased a Macintosh version, which cost more than the same printer set
up for a PC.  Purchase price, from Netsales:
(http://www.netsales.net/pk.wcgi/devshed) was  $257.06.

This is what I am printing the covers of my latest publication on and the
quality is satisfactory.  Somewhere between ink jet and laser; closer to
laser.

Last night, a ribbon broke and it did not take too much time to take the
ribbon package apart and re-thread the ribbon.  I do not expect that people
are expected to do this, but book-binders are infamous for being handy with
tools.

Jack

>Date:    Sun, 4 Oct 1998 15:17:44 -0500
>From:    Wayne and Mary <whaegele@ITOL.COM>
>Subject: Color printer question
>
>Can anyone recommend a color printer that uses a
>permanent ink.  Most inkjets use water soluble
>ink which runs when it gets wet.  I'm looking for
>a reasonable alternative without having to incur
>the expense of a color laser printer.
>
>Thanks
>
>Mary Haegele

Jack C. Thompson