Re: Etching Question

>Hi, having been a printmaker and having gotten a degree in printmaking
>I think I have a few questions to ask everyone about oxidation.
>Since when is oxidation white?
Zinc white pigment is zinc oxide.  It needs to be removed for tight bonds
for liquid hard ground and will affect some light colors, esp. yellow.  A
special yellow was manufactored by Graphic Chem. or Daniel Smith, Dalyride
sp? yelow that was less reactive.  If one rubs a zinc plate with a  mild
powdered cleanser while wet, the oxide shows up as black.  Some etchers
used to use phosphoric or acetic acid as a zinc plate cleaner before biting
with flour of sulfur or for fine aquatints.  Zinc is a natural rust
proofing and shows up as a galvanizing material for flashings etc.  Water
stains from these areas often show up as white streaks on darker roofs.
Cheers, always trying to make a good impression, or is it just that
printmakers press harder?  Charlie J.
  I have yet to have any of my 50 or so
>plates that are zinc turn white, and they have truely been abused.
>I think that oxidation is a term used a bit loosely here, but maybe
>I need some type of an education on my zinc plates turning white.
>Also if you would like to know everyone of my copper plates have turned
>green over the years, no matter what I have done, because they get air
>on them, and they turn.  Almost like a sculptural finish on a bronze
>statue that is hundreds of years old.  Anyway, maybe someone can fill me
>in on this magic stuff call oxidation????
>
>Thank-You
>

>Hi - this is Janet - I am an artist - do you need any art work?
>Give me a call.  Logos, Murals, Signs - jmeyerb@comp.uark.edu

Charles D. Jones
Artist/Printmaker/Fiddler
and professor of art