Re: On Line Book Stores ?

If there is a dealer with whom you have a relationship, very often they
will be more than happy, sometimes for a fee, to do book searches for you.
I collect one illustrator seriously and another haphazardly. In the course
of buying these books, most over the Internet I have found myself
corresponding with the dealers. I also try to order/work through the same
dealers. They know what I'm looking for and actually approach me saying,
"I found this book. I think it was on your want list, or do you have
it..." Often it will come down to points of issue... but the important
thing here is the relationship part. When buying antiquarian books that
relationship can be very valuable.

The net is a great tool, (and this might sound crazy to those that know
me) but not everything is to be had there. Indexing is still horrible,
dealers don't all have their content up... Sure, most of my initial
contacts and correspondece are through the net, but it's the personal
interaction, the old fashioned way still works in some cases best. Another
added benefit is you meet some great eccentric characters, much like all
of us, and can learn a lot in the process.

Peter

Peter Verheyen, Listowner: Book_Arts-L
mailto:pdverhey@dreamscape.com
http://www.dreamscape.com/pdverhey