Re: Etching Question

Hey there.  I think we have been using "oxidiation" to refer to two
different phenomena:  the oxidising of the metal plate itself, and the
interaction of certain inks with certain metals.  Zinc does indeed oxidze
when in contact with water and air; to experience this, just wet a zinc
plate and let it stand for a day or two (or wrap it up in damp paper).  Fun
home science experiment, like growing mold on bread.  The second
"oxidization", with ink, occurs when certain pigments, such as the cadmiums,
react to the metal plate, causing a color change.  This is most obvious with
zinc and cadmium yellow (it goes green).  So certain colors are better to
use on copper.  Alternatively, you can spray your zinc plate with pastel
fixative, forming a barrier between the metal and the color.  Happy
printing.  Audrey