Re: Publisher contracts

I have spent many years in the publishing industry (including the
publishing of books on art, architecture, music, poetry, and historic
preservation--both commercial and not-for-profit) and I can guarantee that
you should not put up with this. It is typical for a publisher to try such
stuff, but they are usually amenable to alterations. In part, what you
receive depends upon how important your work is to the finished product. If
the book can't be done without your work, you deserve payment. If you are
contributing, you deserve to have your work or slides returned safely. If
you are receiving no payment, you can certainly ask for a couple of copies.
That's a minor courtesy that is more than reasonable.

If anyone is interested in specific questions about publishing contracts,
I'd be happy to share what I know. Contact me directly. I have been an
editorial director, publisher, art director, and production manager at
different points in my career. I've negotiated scores of contracts, and
I've never felt the need to put the screws on an artist.

Buck