Re: Publisher contracts

This type of contract is known in my shop as THE BENDOVERTURE!  Nice try,
but no can do.
YOU are the only person that can provide your material to the publisher.
They can't publish what they can't contract.  The door swings both ways.
Make them share and share alike!

Regards

Michael

At 02:11 PM 10/8/98 -0400, you wrote:
>In revising a contract for a book that will be published containing
>reproductions of some of my work I began to wonder what people say in such
>contracts.
>
>The one I received gave the publisher all rights forever in any format and
>assumed no liability for responsibility concerning the original materials
>submitted.  In addition to the expected no payment provided for doing
>their work the contract does not even incorporate a copy of the finished
>work for me!  Needless to say, my revisions were extensive.
>
>While I know from experience that the typical contract gives all the good
>stuff to the publisher and any potential negatives to the provider of the
>material, I wonder what experiences people have had with such matters.
>
>R*
>
>R. H. Starr, Jr., Ph.D.                 I am not related to Kenneth Starr
>Professor                               (but, his wife's a distant cousin)
>Department of Psychology
>UMBC
>1000 Hilltop Circle
>Baltimore, MD  21250

        M I C H A E L   M O R I N                  M.F.A., M.L.S.
    Director Celtic Press                Instructional Media Librarian
      Buffalo  New York                   D'Youville College Library
                              ba202@freenet.buffalo.edu
       Member Buffalo Free-Net Executive Board of Directors