Re: box to house book

Shireen Holman wrote:

> I need some bookbinding advice. I'm planning to make a box to house a
> sculptural artist's book. The box will need to be 12" wide x 15" high and
> 3" deep. Parts of the sculpture will be attached to the inside of the box,
> so the book will not be removable. The box will have to be able to stand
> with the book/sculpture in it. I don't want it to end up being too heavy,
> so I was wondering whether it would be a bad idea to make it out of foam
> core covered with cloth? Does anyone know how stable foam core is? Will the
> foam disintegrate and the board collapse in time? Is there a better
> material to use? Thanks for any advice.

Shireen

I'd be leery of using foamcore for anything remotely structural. When I
have to make something like you're doing, I use basswood. It's available
from hobby shops in various thicknesses and widths. It is both sturdy
and light. The downside is that for strength at the joints I use a
combination of wood glue and small brass screws. This takes extra time,
but yields a really solid box.

Don Rash