Re: Elmers vs PVA

I think the answer is yes. If I'm doing an adhesive binding I don't worry
about it and the endsheets are glued while gluing the text.

On sewn books I generally do a double folio sewn endsheet. On these I also
wrap a strip of Japanese paper (loose guard) around the first and last
sections which is sewn with them. When the spine is pasted up these are
adhered to the endsheet sections... When using a single folio
endsheet I tip that onto the loose guard. Using a loose guard keeps the
the endsheet from dragging up the first leaf of the first section when the
book is opened.

When the spine is pasted up, and almost dry (dry to the touch) I'll round
and shape (back). Then while the book is still in the backing press
apply a strip of Japanese paper with paste. When that is dry I can apply
the other linings... with PVA or whatever. If you have to rebind the
book, the Japanese paper will split when the linings are removed and the
spine can then easily, and completely be cleaned using a poultice. While
I will apply PVA directly to the spine on some books, this is my preferred
way to go, especially on conservation treatments and fine bindings.

p.

Peter Verheyen, Listowner: Book_Arts-L
mailto:pdverhey@dreamscape.com
http://www.dreamscape.com/pdverhey