"horn book" ancient name

Hello friends,
        I'm looking for the one-word ancient name of the tablets that
eventually came to be called "horn books", starts with an *a* I think.
Would you believe I had it in my hand just a couple days ago? I have plowed
through so many papers, read so much, wrote so much in that span that I've
buried it and can't seem to get it back. I'm working on a double-sestina
poem called "Palimpsest" and the word/image/music of the word belongs in
the fifth stanza. Anybody know what I mean? (on any level...)
        All help appreciated.
Thank you.
Linda
NJ/USA