Re: Birch Bark

Tom Trusky wrote:

> A former student is interested in using birch bark for book covers and/or =

In the children's Eyewitness series book on Books there is an example of
a scroll made of birch bark.

Here on the east coast late summer and fall is the time to collect birch
bark. It is peeling of the trees naturaly and can be collected by just
peeling it off. Or with care by cutting through the first couple layers
of bark and working the bark lose with your fingers or a blunt stick.
Care should be taken not to cut into the bark so deep as to girdle the
tree. Sometimes I've found that it will pop off the tree when cut.

Cutting bark free from a rotten tree gives a lot more stable bark and
harder to sepperate the layers.

I am using birch bark for labels on a book now and using a 3m adhesive
transfer tape 927, very tacky and and am have problems with the labels
delaminating. These labels were stamped with a very hot stamping press,
burning the text into the bark. Where the text is on the label there is
no delaminating.

I've also printed wood cuts on it and nature printing with bones and
leaves with oil based inks. I've glued it to books with PVA, and have
one book that is about ten years old and can see no problems with
adhesion.

STeve Daiber