Re: Dream Course

On Tue, 10 Nov 1998, Paul T Werner wrote:
> something about the Medieval Book... like, maybe:
>
> THE MEDIEVAL BOOK: POETS, PAINTERS AND SCRIBES.

Your course would really interest me if you included information on the
relationships between the different artists you describe above. How did a
scribe get his work? Did the poet approach him? and then find an artist to
engrave the plates that fit the text? Who commisioned and paid the
bookbinder? Did a patron foot the bill? I think we take these
relationships for granted today, because it is so easy to find an
appropriate craftsperson in our information age. But what was happening in
the 16th century?

Ann Frellsen                         phone: 404-727-0307
Preservation Office                    FAX: 404-727-0053
Woodruff Library
Emory University                     email: libavf@unix.cc.emory.edu
Atlanta, GA USA 30322-2870