Self-publishing

Susan Gaylord wrote of her decision to start her own publishing venture:

<<  I think another part was letting go of a certain level of snobbery. I
think it is much more prestigious to be published than publish. >>

Susan, I congratulate you for the decision to take your own fate in your hands
and publish you own work. I do not agree with you that it is more pretigious
to be published than to publish. For me, the key issue here is not prestidge.
The key issue is: do I want to work for someone else or do I want to work for
myself. I admit a bias. I have been self-employed for nearly twenty years
after having worked in a professional position for a number of years. Self-
publishing is self-employment.

Self-employment has some downsides but the benefits are much greater for a
personality such as mine. And I recognize that having a certain type of
personality is required for successful self-employment. The biggest benefit of
self-employment is that you get to be the boss. You will not have to take the
word of a 25-year-old acquisitions editor with a B.A. in English at some
publishing firm that your work is valuable and marketable. You can decide that
for yourself. You will take the risk yourself, and, if you are successful, you
will reap much more than the 10% royalties that the publishing house might
you.

Self-publishing (and self-employment) takes intelligence, good planning and
management skills, and most of all, courage. Good luck as you venture into an
honorable, exciting, and "prestigious" field.

C.J. Shane

P.S. I read in a work by management experts that the average worker in an
office actually only "works" 2 hours and 45 minutes in an 8 hour day.