Re: pen nibs

I assume Mr Marshall is requesting information about metal nibs, but just in
case he isn't he might want to look at

Michael Finlay. Western Writing Implements in the Age of the Quill Pen. Plains
Books, Wetheral, Carlisle, Cumbria. 1990. ISBN 1-872477-00-3
This is pretty much the definitive book on quill pens.

For a history of metal pens you might want to look at

A Series of Articles on Writing Materials from the Saturday Magazine. . .
originally published in the years 1838-39 & 1834. Reprinted by His Nibs Philip
Poole. London, N.d.

Despite his name, this is an entertaining, if biased history:

Henry Bore. The Story of the Invention of Steel Pens. New York, 1890. There
are many illustrations of the manufacture of pens and four pages of
illustrations of Perry & Co. pen nibs.

There is also a brief article by James Perry which I read at the Newberry
Library but can't immediately locate. It was published in the fall of 1830 &
describes the success of the recently introduced steel pen in England.

Early U.S. references to the superiority of steel pens over quills can be
found in Oliver B. Goldsmith's Gems of Penmanship. N.Y., 1845. and in Spencer
& Rice's System of Business Penmanship. N.Y., 1848.

Sincerely,
R. Williams