[Date Prev][Date Next][Thread Prev][Thread Next][Date Index][Thread Index]
Re: saving staple signature bindings
- To: BOOK_ARTS-L@LISTSERV.SYR.EDU
- Subject: Re: saving staple signature bindings
- From: Peter Verheyen <pdverhey@DREAMSCAPE.COM>
- Date: Thu, 10 Dec 1998 12:20:39 -0500
- In-Reply-To: <199812101708.MAA12362@ultra1.dreamscape.com>
- Message-Id: <199812101722.JAA18834@palimpsest.Stanford.EDU>
- Sender: "Book_Arts-L: READ THE FAQ at http://www.dreamscape.com/pdverhey" <BOOK_ARTS-L@LISTSERV.SYR.EDU>
having worked in Germany and research library's here with large numbers of
these I guess I've developed some pretty good experiences.
Clean the spines carefully. Usually the textblocks are quite sound and
there is no reason to pull. I usually scrapped them in a dry state and
then applied my linings using straight PVA. In Germany we used hide glue
on the spines. Either worked. What you don't want to do is add more
moisture than you need to. Then proceed as you normally would. On the few
that I found with deteriorated textblocks and lots of rust, they were
pulled, mended and sewn. A lot more work. If cost is an issue, and
bibliographic integrity isn't you could always chop and fan glue, but in
most cases that shouldn't be neccesary.
I've found leaving them in place works out well. The other factor of
course is paper quality. If the paper is also brittle, which it can often
be, maybe reformatting should be considered. On the whole though they
function great, certainly better than that oversewing mess, especially
when the paper gets marginal.
Main thing though, watch your hands when you scrape the spine. The first
time I encountered that type of binding I ripped up my skin. Needless to
say I got a tetanus booster promptly.
Peter Verheyen, Listowner: Book_Arts-L
On Thu, 10 Dec 1998, Eric C. Alstrom wrote:
> Dear List,
> I have been going through the backlog in the conservation lab and have a
> question for all of you. I keep running across numerous multi-signature books
> bound with staples through the fold of each signature. These are usually German
> imprints from around the turn of the century through the 1920s (roughly). I
> have seen these in the past but in this quantity. My question is what have
> others done to conserve this style of binding.
> On previous staple bound items, I have tried to remove the staples after I
> cleaned the spine of mull and adhesives. This resulted in making already rusty
> staples even more so and increased the rust stains. If rust was not a problem,
> removing the staples after cleaning off as much of the adhesive as possible and
> then separating the signatures resulted in tearing the folds. Only in one case
> where the paper spine lining had fallen off was I successful in removing the
> staples and separating the signatures then was able to resew without having to
> repair torn signatures.
> Now that I'm facing many of these books, I am hoping someone can tell me the
> best way to remove these staples without too much damage so I can sew the books
> properly. If worse comes to worse (and a couple of the books look like worse
> case scenarios) I will chop of the folds and adhesive bind them. Surprisingly
> the paper in most of the volumes is not overly brittle.
> Eric C. Alstrom
> Collections Conservator
> Baker Library
> Dartmouth College 603-646-1452
> Hanover, NH (fax) 603-646-3702