staples

 I have seen several German staple bindings here at the Law School. The
ones I have seen functioned extremely well, so there was really no
question of taking them apart. Unless the staples are rusting or the
book is brittle I would see no reason to do so.  However, we do get a
lot of third world books here assembled with packing staples used like
side stitching that are major problems.  For removing packing staples,
especially if they are rusted, I wear a kevlar glove.  These are sold
largly for those working with machinery, or hunters who skin their kill,
and shield the hand from punctures and cuts.  I would strongly recommend
the use of such gloves when dealing with these rusty metal monsters.
You just never know where that staple has been......
 Dorothy Africa