Re: saving staple signature bindings

I haven't seen anyone discussing American staple bindings.  They're not
all that uncommon, actually, and I have repaired several 19th century
items.  Nasty.  The old staples often eat through the paper, leaving big
holes and releasing the folios.  The old linings tend to be very thin,
brittle and friable.  Some simply fall apart.  I charge extra to disbind
and resew, because they are such a pain (literally) to take apart.  The
old staples break readily, leaving part embedded.  I don't  offer to
glue-bind these.