Re: saving staple signature bindings

Wire stitching or "stapling" was invented by Henry Heyl in 1874 in
America, and used betwen 1874-76 (from a handout, compiled by Randy
Silverman and Maria Grandinette, and distributed at the 1995 AIC
conference).  According to Glaister's Encyclopedia of the Book, wire
stitching moved from Philadelphia to London in 1877 with August
Brehmer.  Glaister notes that as the rusting wire marred the pages, use
to bind boods was shortlived.  Side stabbing is now used for multiple
sections, rather that through-fold.

Apparently, the old practice survived longer than was thought.
--------