parchment

  On the radio this morning as I was listening to NPR (National Public
Radio), one of the reporters mentioned in passing that the clerk at the
House of Representatives transcribed the articles of impeachment passed
by the House onto parchment to serve in the formal transfer of the
proceedings to the Senate.  I presume this means genuine
vellum/parchment rather than one of the various toned papers.  I was
wondering how often this is done, certainly not for every piece of
legislation passed on to the Senate!  Not everyone would agree that
Clinton is a scapegoat for the Republicans, but there may very well be a
scraped goat in the proceedings.
  Dorothy Africa