Re: BOOK_ARTS-L Digest - 19 Dec 1998 to 20 Dec 1998

<<Subject: Elephant dung and other similar paper>>

What was mentioned about elephant dung paper is true, as I experimented with
it when I was working in South AFrica. I did make sheets of 100% elephant dung
but they were extremely brittle and only when mixed with another fiber were
they flexible and usable for anyting other than a decorative surface.  Of
course, I assume that it does depend on the kind of elephant dung one gets as
the animal consumes different kinds of plant life and that would alter the
paper quality.
I also tried rhino dung.
If someone is particularly interested in these kinds of papers, it might be
possible to contact either Walter Ruprecht of Catalina Papers in Zimbabwe or
Linda Sihali working in Soweto.
-Robbin Ami Silverberg
Dobbin Mill/Dobbin Books, NYC.