Re: Dremel or drill?

>Hello!
>        I'd appreciate your help on this...I've been considering the
>purchase of an electric drill to help with making my poetry chapbooks but a
>Dremel looks more versatile.

It probably depends on the size of holes you intend to drill. Dremel cannot
drill holes larger than 1/8", regular electric drills are very clumsy
drillling anything smaller than 1/8". Also, the dremel will run at much
higher speeds (variably up to 25,000) versus 2,500 for a regular drill.
Cordless electric drills are either toys or monsters meant for for
carpenters.

I would also suggest you look at the type of bit. I don't know about bits
specially designed for paper, I find the common metal drilling bit with a
point in the center tears paper quite a bit. I use bradpoint bits intended
for wood, these have spurs on the circumference that cut a circle first then
cut out the center. They are readily available, but no smaller than 1/8".

Practically all tiny drill bits are metal bits, but there are lots of tiny
rasps available. Rasps cut on the side as well as up and down, some types of
rasps have spurs on the bottom just like bradpoint bits. These are recycled
from the electronics industry and come in little boxes with microsopic
drills and such, tool suppliers like Lee Valley or the equivalent where you
live should have them. They are not terribly expensive, $10 for ten,say,
but are mixed with drills. You have to look (very closely) at the pointy end
to see which are rasps. They cut much cleaner than regular metal drills.

I haven't seen this sort of rasp in the Dremel displays. The various
engraving cutters just go sideways and are not very usefull as drills.