motivations

Dr. Gunn's art history class made me want to travel and see every art
museum I could find, but living where I did and then getting married made
me think it'd never happen.  DH was from DC, so when we went to meet
family, DSIL took me to National Art Gallery and I was ecstatic to
actually see so many wonderful works of art--Van Gogh's in particular.
It was very frustrating also, though, as DSIL had been so many times that
it was almost boring to her.  Where I could have sat for hours and looked
at one painting, she wanted to zip through.  How wonderful years later to
be stationed in Germany and see the Van Gogh museum in Holland, also many
other works of art.   Another absolutely transfixing experience was to
see rose windows of Notre Dame and inside hear priest's singing Gregorian
chants.

As an aside--an older friend's husband recently passed away and her son
talked about his father the artist.  They grew up with copies their dad
did of Van Gogh, Degas, Monet, Renoir, etc. as he learned to paint.  They
had them in the bathrooms, kitchen, etc.  Same thing for music--only the
classics were allowed on Sundays, either from records or from his
playing, and eventually their own.

Eileen E.
So long as we love, we serve;  so long as we are loved by others,
I would almost say that we are indispensable, and no man is useless
while he has a friend.  --  Robert Louis Stevenson

Ladybug Lovelies       P.O. Box 92-342      Tillicum, WA  98492-0342